BY CONNIE CHWAN
The Vision/Traction Organizer™ includes a section called “Marketing Strategy.” It is designed to identify who your ideal customer is and what you should be saying to them in all your marketing and sales campaigns.
A clear, well-defined marketing strategy must align with your Core Focus™. A clear, well-defined marketing strategy enables your people to make better decisions.
The heart of great sales and marketing strategies answer four simple questions:
- What is our target market?
- What are our 3 Uniques™?
- What is our proven process?
- What is our guarantee?
Identifying Your Ideal Customer with Psychographics
Three elements define your ideal customer or target market:
- Demographic—who are they—i.e.: companies with at least 2,000 employees and five physical plants
- Geographic—where are they—i.e.: within a 100-mile radius of our location
The third element is the psychographic and the focus for today’s discussion. Your ideal customer’s psychographic describes what they value most.
- how they think, act, and feel
- what they value with what they appreciate; and
- what motivates them
Your ideal customer may value a relationship with your company over price. Perhaps they want a single point of contact for all their locations. Maybe a well-proven track record is most important to them. Then again, the lowest, best price may be the most important consideration when selecting a service provider. It is possible just-in-time delivery is critical to their production capabilities. You get the picture.
The value in understanding your customers’ psychographics is this is where your real magic and value live. This is your opportunity to shine.
So gather your leadership team in the conference room, close the door, and start making a list of what your ideal customer wants. Then identify how you can give your customer “that”—because otherwise, your sales and marketing efforts are wasting time and energy.
Comment below and let us know what your experience has been with diving into your customer’s psychographic.
- Download a free chapter of Traction by Gino Wickman
- Download a copy of the EOS V/TO to help you clarify, simplify, and achieve your vision
- Check the strength of your company with the Organizational Checkup®.